When customizing error messages, make sure to:
- Include helpful and informative error messages for all possible errors
- Error messages should not only say that something is wrong, but should explain why that happened and, most importantly, how the user can fix the problem.
- Sometimes, informative error messages can be an opportunity to teach the users how relevant features work so that they won’t commit the same mistake next time.
- Keep error messages short
- If this is not possible (i.e. the error is too complex), link the users towards documentation or support
- Speak the user’s language (i.e. avoid overly technical terms)
- Avoid saying “you” in error messages